Translational Research Lead Fibrosis - Mechelen,BE/Romainville,FR/Basel,CH
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Romainville & Paris), the Netherlands (Leiden), Switzerland (Basel), Italy (Milano), Spain (Madrid), the UK (London), Germany (München), and in the US (Boston).
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
We are looking for a Translational Research Lead Fibrosis, Mechelen,BE/Romainville,FR/Basel,CH
Scope of the job
In the area of fibrotic diseases, you will play a central role at the interface between the discovery and development departments.
- At one hand, the Translational Research Lead drives late stage projects as Pharmacology Leader in the project team for projects in Development. Typically, the Pharmacology Leader is responsible for designing the pharmacology plans and interpreting (pre-)clinical data (e.g. biomarker data) for a development project, aiming at understanding the efficacy level and mechanism of action of the compound in a given disease compared to competitor molecules as well as selecting alternative indications. In addition, the Translational Research Lead plays a central role in the selection of biomarker strategies, together with the Biomarker Lead.
- At the other hand, you will be responsible for establishing strategies to map disease mechanisms:
- develop and implement strategies for the collection / generation of disease-related data from the clinic.
- integrate molecular (e.g. ‘omics’) data, ultimately also with disease-related outcome measures or patient reported outcomes.
- build and make experimentally confirm / infirm mechanistic hypotheses within Galapagos’ core disease areas.
- consolidate and integrate mechanistic insights onto disease networks.
- participating in defining the next approaches and pathways to be targeted in Research to address the patient’s unmet needs.
To achieve your goals, you will have a central position amongst various stakeholders. At one hand, you will interact with other members of the Disease Biology group, including the Disease Area Head as well as the other Pharmacology Leaders. In addition, you will be operating in a matrix environment and will orchestrate the activities of several departments in the discovery organisation, ranging from in vitro through in vivo pharmacology as well as translational science and bioinformatics. Also, your activities are performed in close collaboration with the Translational Medicine department. You are also operating outside Galapagos, designing and driving external academic collaborations with experts in the field.
- Integrating knowledge on pathogenic pathways and competitor molecules gathered from internal / external datasets, key literature, feedback of KOL’s, congresses.
- Functionally mapping the competitive environment for Galapagos’ advanced molecules.
- Bring key elements guiding the design of competitive strategies for selected diseases.
- Leading Pharmacology activities for the characterization of molecules in Development phases, with emphasis on Translational activities.
- Efficient reporting on progress to the scientific management team of the company.
- Building a productive and trust-based collaboration with the Galapagos expert teams.
- Managing external scientific collaborations.
- Assist the Business Development team by providing critical reviews of potential external assets.
Who are you?
- Ph.D. with at least 10 years drug discovery experience in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry.
- Knowledge of the drug discovery process supported by a demonstrated track record of delivery and leadership in drug discovery projects.
- Solid knowledge of in vitro and in vivo pharmacology as well as of concepts in pharmacokinetics. Knowledge of translational concepts (use of target and disease biomarkers).
- Sound knowledge in ‘omics technologies and track record translating raw ‘omics data set in a molecular network which make sense in a specific disease
- Knowledge and former experience in the Fibrosis therapeutic area is a plus, including an sound understanding of processes driving disease, as well as an understanding of the competitive landscape in the area.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including writing, reviewing and editing scientific documents
- Track record of successful leadership: strong leadership, ability to inspire and motivate project team members
- Talented in organizing and planning.
- Creative and critical thinker. Able to build a synthetic view in the field.
- Traveling is required in this position
What’s in it for you ?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos: together we can make it happen…!