Therapeutic Area Senior Communications Manager
We are Galapagos. We are at the beginning of a new chapter on our journey of discovery, development and commercialization. We are in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover, develop and commercialize life-improving medicines, we go where no one has gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible, we need to be best-in-class. Working together we will bring to market the most innovative medicines to improve patients’ lives. We discover, we dare, we care. Do you want to be part of our story?
Scope of the role:
In this role and working with the Therapeutic Area Senior Communications Director, you will have the opportunity to lead the development and implementation of exciting and creative communication strategies and campaigns to create success stories, as we build and launch a portfolio of industry-leading breakthrough therapies with the potential to revolutionize existing treatment paradigms. Engaging with a range of internal and external stakeholders, including, commercial, medical, creative, corporate, digital, media, patient, investor and public affairs, you will build relationships that will shape the profile and reputation of Galapagos and our therapy area brands, as we work to achieve our ambition to become a leading biopharmaceutical company with first in class medicines. You will have the opportunity to work closely with colleagues in the communication and public affairs function, to partner the therapy area commercial and medical leads and to support our colleagues in European affiliate markets. The role will require you to be agile, fast-thinking, entrepreneurial, innovative and collaborative. We are waiting for you.
In this position, with support from the Therapeutic Area Senior Communications Director, you will be responsible for:
- Development, implementation, measurement and continuous improvement of an integrated therapy brand communication plan to support our medicines pre, peri and post-launch, through to full lifecycle management
- Building an excellent understanding of the therapy area, disease and brand strategies to be able to partner the commercial leads and provide counsel on communication strategies, messaging and activities to support their business priorities
- Creating inspiring therapy, disease and brand content for a range of communication channels and platforms, including traditional and digital media, congress, events, meetings, investor briefings, public affairs initiatives and patient advocacy partner platforms
- Managing a busy clinical and regulatory news flow, including liaising with the corporate media and investor relations teams to ensure consistent strategic, proactive and impactful media outreach on data, to maintain financial market confidence and Galapagos reputation.
- Plan external communication activities and initiatives for longer-lead media opportunities, including thought-leadership, scientific innovation and disease understanding.
- Provide on-going counsel and support for the European markets to help in preparation for launch activities, as well as consistent and effective implementation of therapy and disease area communication plans and activities.
- Prepare for potential therapy/disease and brand issues, being able to provide rapid response plans and effective communication guidance for corporate media, IR and LOC stakeholders.
- Ensure all communication programmes are measurable and adopt a continuous improvement mindset, to further develop plans and programmes.
- Work within all governance requirements and be compliant with relevant codes and policies.
- Build an extensive and effective internal network across key functions and with individuals, including commercial, medical, access, business and competitor intelligence, corporate media, IR, internal comms, digital, design, public affairs and European market leads.
- Develop productive relationships with partners and third parties to deliver excellent outcomes, including co-marketing partners and communication agencies.
- Develop internal communications plans for each therapeutic area in close collaboration with the brand team and Internal communications department.
- Strategic communication plans and materials supporting therapy, disease and brand priorities
- Delivery of media strategy and quality news flow to corporate and European business and healthcare trade media and support country outreach to local healthcare media to ensure coverage and share of voice
- Development and maintenance of productive relationships with key European media to ensure accurate, balanced reporting of Galapagos, therapy area and brand messages
- Development of therapy area, disease and brand narrative and roll-out to internal stakeholders
- Implementation of media and message training for senior therapy area leaders for media / investor / patient organisation / internal events
- Effective agency management to ensure plans are delivered excellently, in time and effective budget management for all communication activities to support the therapy areas
- Reputational risk assessment plans in place, including template materials.
- Monitoring and evaluation of programmes and initiatives for continuous improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, medical or related field
- Communication professional with at least 6 years’ experience in the healthcare field
- Experience working in a corporate environment, Communications/PR agency or Public institution
- Knowledgeable of the US /European regulatory and compliance environment.
- Outstanding written, verbal, presentation and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to plan, prioritize and flex in a fast-paced environment
- Great organisational skills and attention to detail
- Experience working in cross-functional team environment
- Understanding and adherence to relevant Industry governance requirements
- Great team working spirit and positive mind-set
- Enjoy receiving and giving positive challenge
- Willing to travel
Why work for Galapagos?
We are pioneering for patients. You will be part of a fast-growing and amazing company, with supportive colleagues and an ambitious outlook. At Galapagos we recruit the best people, who stand out amongst their peers with integrity, authenticity and a pioneering spirit. Our people are the strength behind Galapagos, success is in your hands. We offer a competitive remuneration package, a dynamic work environment and the opportunity to be part of something really meaningful. We discover, we dare, we care.