Team Leader/Group Leader cellular biology - Leiden,NL
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Romainville & Paris), the Netherlands (Leiden), Switzerland (Basel), Italy (Milano), Spain (Madrid), the UK (London), Germany (München), and in the US (Boston).
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
We are looking for a Team Leader/Group Leader cellular biology - Leiden, NL
Scope of the job
You will design cellular biology strategies in order to develop new competitive therapeutic compounds / drugs and increase our understanding of our compounds. You will manage and organize the work for the cellular pharmacology team dedicated to metabolics / new area. Highly qualified in your own area, you are able to interpret and analyse data in order to give strategic guidance to the projects. You inspire and motivate the team, manage and organize resources in the team in line with overall disease area priorities.
- Supervise, organise and develop the activities of the team to obtain results for the Research projects in a timely and efficient manner.
- Analyze data from complex and multiple assays; identify key issues and solve them in the own area of expertise or provide guidance to solve them.
- Act as an influencer by providing scientific recommendation within and across teams.
- Act as a role model for its own team by offering guidance and support.
- Depending on the projects, act as an expert, project member or project leader for the own area of expertise.
- Actively follow the recent literature and ensure that a broad knowledge of the specific area is present.
- Present and communicate scientific data in a clear and comprehensive manner.
- Actively collaborate with other areas of expertise (screening teams, project teams, medchem…).
- Lead the team by motivating and empowering each team member.
- Organize the workload and resources of the team according to the needs of the projects; inform the project / hierarchy in case of non-compliance and proposes solutions.
- Accountable for the correct implementation of Galapagos' values, behaviour, processes and way of working in your own team.
Who are you?
- PhD in molecular or cell biology, biological sciences with more than 5 years of experience in pharmaceutical or biotech environment.
- Strong background and experience in team and people management with the ability to inspire and motivate team members, ideally obtained in a pharmaceutical or biotechnology environment.
- Up to date with state-of-the-art technologies in cell and molecular biology.
- Proven track-record in molecular and cellular biology techniques applied in an in vitro cellular context (gene silencing/editing, pooled shRNA/CRISPR screen, reporter assays, high content imaging and/or FACS, transcriptomics, primary cell culture…
- Ability to build an understanding of biology around novel targets and pathways and design experiments to test hypothesis.
- Critical mindset when analyzing scientific data from internal work or from external sources.
- Ability to bring new ideas and have strong creativity to tackle challenging biology.
- Maintain a strong awareness of the relevant scientific literature and contemporary laboratory practices.
- Knowledge and former experience in the field of kidney disease, metabolic disease is a plus.
- Having an integrated view on how drug discovery works is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including writing, reviewing and editing scientific documents.
- You promote an open and supportive climate and a collaborative organization.
- Well organized, you are able to handle multiple tasks and project.
- Objective driven mindset.
- Ability to adapt in terms of novel priorities and to make constructive recommendations.
- Autonomous, able to delegate and to empower people.
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos: together we can make it happen…!