Team Leader Target Discovery - Leiden, NL
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Romainville), the Netherlands (Leiden), Basel (Switzerland) and in Boston (US).
We are in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you.
We are looking for a Team Leader Target Discovery – Leiden, NL
We are looking for a rather senior person to take up the role of team leader for the target discovery team. The target discovery team runs all the high-throughput screens and the data analysis leading to the identification of potential targets for certain diseases. This team works in close collaboration with stakeholders from the same or other departments. Additionally, the Target Discovery team constantly focusses on the improvement of the target identification cascade and improvements of the platform.
- Develop, manage and motivate one or more team(s) of researchers supporting Galapagos’ target discovery projects
- Supervise, organize and develop the activities of this team, take responsibility for resource planning, prioritization of activities and efficient, high quality execution
- Set strategy, influence others and implement strategy towards scientific goals
- Translate scientific ideas and questions into experimental valuable data. Integrate knowledge on projects into experimental work and vice versa.
- Present complex scientific data in a clear, comprehensive manner
- Ensure a high level scientific standard is maintained on all projects
- Ensure smooth communication and interactions with the other teams and all stakeholders.
- Actively follow recent literature, making sure that a broad knowledge of the field is present,
- Is accountable of the proper implementation of GLPG values, behavior, process and way of working in its own team.
- On projects, act as expert of own area and reliable project member;
Who are you?
- You have a Ph.D in biological sciences or equivalent followed by at least 5 years of industrial experience, with relevant work experience in drug discovery and cell biology.
- Strong skills and experience in managing scientific projects in the pharmaceutical company environment
- Directs, administers, and controls the day-to-day operations and activities of the team
- Provides leadership, support, and guidance to the team
- Participates in the implementation of departmental and company initiatives and strategies
- Able to motivate and inspire the team (10 people) and guide the team towards the achievement of the set goals. Ensures and promotes the development of the team through coaching, training, and leadership development (i.e., line manager skills are a must)
- Experience in running in vitro cell-based assays in a high-throughput manner. Experience with high-throughput screening of other tools rather than compounds (e.g., siRNA, shRNA, antibodies, CRISPR-Cas9) is strongly desirable
- Strong communication and organizational skills allowing a strong and robust communications process between all stakeholders
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos : together we can make it happen…!