Senior Scientist New Technologies - CRISPR/RNAi technology expert for target identification and validation - Mechelen,BE
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a
dynamic fast growing Biotech company
with offices in Europe in Belgium
(Mechelen), France (Romainville), the Netherlands (Leiden) and
in US, Boston.
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover
and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone
before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities.
We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid
thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative
innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other
words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
We are looking for a Senior Scientist New Technologies - CRISPR/RNAi technology expert for target identification and validation
Scope of the job
As Senior Scientist New Technologies, you will be part of a team that identifies, develops, evaluates and implements creative solutions and novel technologies to screen, identify and validate novel drug targets or signaling pathways in a wide variety of disease areas. You will bring state of the art expertise in CRISPR and RNAi technologies and you are able to advise and apply this expertise to develop solid and robust knock-down procedures that fit with phenotypic screening in primary cells, cell lines and/or iPSCs. In addition, you work in a matrix structure with disease cell biologists and contribute to the translation of new disease concepts and strategies for target discovery from a technological perspective. You stay up to date with the most recent developments in the field of knock-down and target discovery technologies, propose and design proof of concept studies for novel DNA, mRNA and protein knock-down technologies and expand the target identification technology portfolio of Galapagos across different cell types relevant for the targeted therapeutic areas.
We are looking for someone who can:
- Identify, evaluate and implement knock-down technologies for target identification (upscalable for screening) and validation (lower throughput technologies) in phenotypic assays
- Apply expertise in gene and protein knockdown to target difficult to access cell types and contribute to the development of a strategic framework for knock-down technology selection (off target analysis, limitations and advantages of technologies, scalability, etc.) across cell types/therapeutic areas
- Scout for novel target discovery technologies and assess their value for Galapagos by designing and executing proof of concept studies on primary cells, cell lines and/or iPSCs
- Execute and advise on best practices to engineer mammalian cells, to create reporter cell lines and perform rescue experimented by introducing plasmid DNA, mRNA, gRNA and Cas9 RNP by appropriate methods, including cationic lipid-based transfection, nucleofection and electroporation
- Support knowledge transfer (theoretical and practical) to the screening teams and the target discovery teams in the different therapeutic areas
- Actively collaborate with other areas of expertise within the technology development and other project teams to bring novel concepts across disease areas into practice.
- Mentor 1 or 2 junior scientists, providing strong guidance and hands-on expertise in CRISPR/RNAi technology and routine molecular biology techniques including assessment of on-and off-target DNA editing
- Design and execute complex assay or study plans in accordance with the project requirements
- Analyze data from assays, report on the progress and bring ideas or innovation to solve problems in the own area of expertise
- Communicate key findings by written reports and oral presentations
Who are you
- Ph.D. in Biology, Biochemistry, life sciences or a relevant discipline and at least 3 years of working experience in pharmaceutical industry, biotech, or in a CRO setting – a purely academic background (PhD + post-doctoral experience) acceptable based on relevant experience level (target identification and screening using knock-down technologies)
- A proven track record and hands on experience in CRISPR or RNAi based screening (AdV-shRNA, LV-shRNA, siRNA, CRISPR/Cas9)
- Extensive practical experience in cellular assay building using primary cells in a mono- or multi cell culture and usage of multiple types of readouts and molecular biology techniques (e.g. high content imaging, FACS, transcriptomics, qPCR, PCR, construct design, DNA engineering tools, etc.).
- Ability to identify and evaluate novel technologies and to propose, plan and execute proof of concept studies
- Experience in culturing and/or differentiation of human (induced) pluripotent stem cells is a plus
- Affinity with omics data interpretation is a plus
- A highly creative "out-of-the-box" mindset, a broad biological interest, highly technology driven and an interest to work on disease relevant assay to identify ways to treat patients
- Being fluent in English, both written and spoken is a must for our international work environment.
What’s in it for you ?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos : together we can make it happen…!