Senior Scientist Bioinformatics - Network Analytics - Mechelen, BE/Romainville, FR/Basel, CH/Leiden, NL
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Romainville & Paris), the Netherlands (Leiden), Switzerland (Basel), Italy (Milano), Spain (Madrid), the UK (London), Germany (München), and in the US (Boston).
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
We are looking for a Senior Scientist Bioinformatics – Network Analytics - Mechelen,BE/Romainville,FR/Basel,CH/Leiden,NL
Scope of the job
Your goal is to realize state-of-the-art network and pathway analytics. One of the important objectives is to develop novel strategies for data analysis, visualization and exploration of network and pathway data-sets and translating this into key biological insights.
This job is also about building a collaborative network with academic partners, vendors and consultants in your own expertise area (network analytics and machine learning). Furthermore, you will focus on clear scientific communication in collaborations with disease area heads and scientific experts and you take ownership of the analytical pipelines and platforms for network analytics.
More in detail, we are looking for someone who can:
- Develop network analytical pipelines, build platform solutions and support the Galapagos research organization for pathway and network analytics.
- Leverage the complexity of multi-omic data in a network context and maximize knowledge generation from these data-sets.
- Apply systems biology and pathway analytics to identify novel drug targets and understand the mode of action.
- Scale network analytics methods for cross-disease sub-network detection to elucidate novel modes of action.
- Build reproducible workflows and scalable analysis pipelines.
- Write research grants, disseminate research output both internally and externally.
- Apply multi-layer network formalisms and algorithms to extract biological sub-networks.
- Execute proof of concept projects and support pathway-centred software solution(s) in the research organization.
- Collaborate with scientists, IT colleagues and vendors.
- Ensure excellent communication of results to scientists and disease experts in the disease area and to the management.
- Interrogate networks to reveal multidimensional perturbations, extract biological sub-networks, identify genes with maximum perturbing influence.
- Integrate public biological data repositories with in-house data
You collaborate with disease area heads and scientists in different projects and align with bioinformatics disease experts.
For this job, a PhD in an analytical field, such as Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or similar is required, with 3 to 5 years of relevant experience. In addition, you have built up a scientific track record in network analytics, pathway analytics or systems biology.
In summary, you are:
- An expert in bioinformatics network and pathway analytics, network representation, machine learning techniques and various network querying algorithms, e.g. module detection, pathfinding.
- Able to develop and deploy automated data pipelines to support prototyping and proof of concepts across the different teams.
- A team player who promotes an open and supportive climate and a collaborative spirit.
- Well organized and able to handle multiple tasks and projects.
- Enjoy working with data scientists.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- Expertise in data analytics, predictive modelling and machine learning.
- A background in analytics and a forecasting capacity.
- Experience in scripting (R, python) and experience with data tools for mining (R, SQL).
- An education in statistical data analysis, with an understanding in SQL, R and/or Tableau.
- Experience with TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch or a similar framework.
- Interest to work with large, complex data-sets around the in-house data infrastructure and solving difficult ad-hoc analysis problems.
- A good knowledge of ML and/or deep learning.
- A strong scientific publication record.
- Experience with large-scale computational analysis; running software on a high-performance computing cluster or cloud environment.
- Working proficiency in UNIX/Linux.
- Excellent presentation skills allowing you to communicate effectively during meetings and among team members.
- Experience with building and maintaining strong and sustainable relationships with key stakeholders through timely interactions, communication and presentation of analysis results.
If you have a background in systems immunology, systems biology and/or single cell genomics and/or immunology of autoimmune disease, this is a plus. It’s even a bigger plus if you have experience with cloud computing too.
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos: together we can make it happen…!