Senior GL Accountant - Mechelen, BE
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium
(Mechelen), France (Paris), the Netherlands (Leiden), Switzerland
(Basel), Spain (Madrid), Italy (Milan), the UK (London), Germany
(Munich) and in the US, (Boston).
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover
and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone
before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want
to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid
thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters.
Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the
best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
We are looking for a Senior Accountant - Mechelen, BE.
You will report to the Accounting Manager and will provide support to the centralized Accounting team of Galapagos located in Mechelen while respecting local legislation, internal rules and policies in a SOX-compliant environment.
Scope of the job
- Ensure proper coordination with internal and external partners running the accounting operations of several legal entities located in Belgium, The Netherlands and France
- Perform monthly and yearly closing activities in collaboration with the Controlling and External Reporting department
- Timely and accurate reporting of the month-end figures
- Reconcile balance sheet and Income Statement accounts
- Preparation of statutory accounts while supporting the audit
- Prepare monthly VAT and tax declarations
- Manage ad hoc accounting related projects and participate to overall finance projects
- Constantly search for improvement opportunities and improve process efficiencies
- Contribute to the quality of SOX controls and documentation requirements of the Accounting function
Who are you?
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting and Finance
- 3+ years of experience working as a Senior Accountant in a A-to-Z role
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and procedures (BE/FR/NL GAAP) including VAT and tax legislation is a plus
- Understanding of accounting software like SAP S/4HANA and related other accounting/finance technologies
- Proficient in MS Excel and Outlook
- Strong aptitude for quantitative skills and numbers
- Being a team player with strong interpersonal skills, solid verbal and written communication
- Ability to organize, multitask and execute internal controls
- Excellent at analysing information and interpret for other departments
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential data
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience in a SOX-compliant environment is an added value
- Fluent in English (oral and written)
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos : together we can make it happen…!