Senior General Ledger Accountant- Mechelen, BE
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium
(Mechelen), France (Paris), the Netherlands (Leiden), Switzerland
(Basel), Spain (Madrid), Italy (Milan), the UK (London), Germany
(Munich) and in the US, (Boston).
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and
develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone
before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to
challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers,
entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative
innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In
other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
We are looking for a Senior General Ledger Accountant- Mechelen, BE
Scope of the job
You will report to the Accounting and Treasury Director and will provide support to the centralized Accounting team of Galapagos located in Mechelen while respecting local legislation, internal rules and policies in a SOX-compliant environment.
- Ensure proper coordination with internal and external partners running the accounting operations of several legal entities located in Germany, Spain, Italy and Switzerland
- Perform monthly and yearly closing activities in collaboration with the Controlling and External Reporting department
- Timely and accurate reporting of the month-end figures
- Reconcile balance sheet and Income Statement accounts
- Preparation of statutory accounts while supporting the audit in collaboration with local service partner
- Validate monthly VAT and tax declarations in collaboration with local service partner
- Manage ad hoc accounting related projects and participate to overall finance projects
- Constantly search for improvement opportunities and improve process efficiencies
- Contribute to the quality of SOX controls and documentation requirements of the Accounting function
Who are you?
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting and Finance
- 3+ years of experience working as a Senior Accountant in a A-to-Z role
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and procedures including VAT and tax legislation
- Understanding of accounting software like SAP S/4HANA and related other accounting/finance technologies
- Proficient in MS Excel and Outlook
- Strong aptitude for quantitative skills and numbers
- Being a team player with strong interpersonal skills, solid verbal and written communication
- Ability to organize, multitask and execute internal controls
- Excellent at analysing information and interpret for other departments
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential data
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience in a SOX-compliant environment is an added value
- Fluent in English (oral and written)
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As
‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your
job successful. At Galapagos, we aim to recruit the best people, who
stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal
and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind
Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading
position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research.
Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work
We are Galapagos: together we can make it happen…!