Senior Bioinformatics Scientist - Mechelen, BE
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), Switzerland (Basel), France (Romainville), the Netherlands (Leiden) and in US, Boston.
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
We are looking for a Senior Scientist Bioinformatics.
Scope of the job:
The senior scientist bioinformatics will help in unraveling complex diseases and be involved in drug discovery projects. In this role, you will work in close collaboration with scientists in target discovery and validation, translational sciences, cellular pharmacology, therapeutic area and information systems.
- Main responsibilities are to analyse, integrate, and interpret high dimensional data from a variety of high-throughput platforms and data-sources (internal or public). With a focus on the fibrosis and inflammation areas, you will provide data analysis and computational biology support to characterize disease mechanisms, unravel mechanism of action for therapeutic interventions and identify candidate bio-markers. You will build, analyse, and interpret biological networks and derive insights from analysis of disparate multidimensional data sources.
- Collaboration with information systems colleagues and vendors makes sure these analysis results and insight are widely available by implementing dedicated systems and platforms.
- You may also evaluate and develop novel algorithms and approaches for data analysis, visualization and exploration, in collaboration with academic partners and/or consultants / vendors. Results and insights communication to scientists, disease experts in the therapeutic area and management with a focus on placing them in an appropriate biological context is a key aspect of this position.
Who are you?
- PhD with a demonstrated track record in bioinformatics, preferably in a pharma/biotech setting
- Experience with biological interpretation of data analysis results is crucial and required. This is showcased by scientific publications and presentations at international congresses
- Experience working in inflammation or fibrosis is a plus
- Experience in several of the following is required: high dimensional data integration and analysis, gene expression analysis, next generation sequencing analysis, analysis pipeline and tool development, biological network and pathway analytics
- Working experience in a Linux environment is required, experience with HPC environments or cloud-based platforms is a plus
- Proficiency in R and BioConductor is required,
- Bash scripting and/or other scripting/programming languages is strong plus (preference for Python).
- Experience with pathway analytics tools (Ingenuity, Metacore, Cytoscape, …) and text mining tools are a strong asset
- A working knowledge of databases is a plus (SQL/NOSQL)
- Experience in data-science techniques (machine learning, deep learning) is a plus
- Strong problem-solving ability, and the aptitude and zeal to acquire new skills necessary for the job
- Rigorous and well organized; good verbal and written English communication skills
- Team player able to work and communicate effectively in a multidisciplinary matrix environment with people with different professional backgrounds (biology, chemistry, molecular modelling, information systems, therapeutic area)
What’s in it for you ?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos : together we can make it happen…!