Principal Scientist Modulation - Mechelen,BE
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Romainville), the Netherlands (Leiden), Basel (Switzerland) and in US, Boston.
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you.
We are looking for a Principal Scientist Modulation – Mechelen,BE
Scope of the job
As a Principal Scientist you will be part of a team that needs to identify the best methodology to modulate novel targets and pathways identified in a disease of interest. Defining the best strategy for hit finding is an essential part of our drug discovery.
What is expected in this role?
- Contribute with technical and scientific expertise in our hit finding and drug discovery projects, supporting the target modulation group.
- Actively contribute to the in depth analysis of identified targets and/ or pathways in order to determine the best strategy on how to modulate these
- Work together with peers to build competitive in vitro assays necessary for hit finding approaches – with the scientific insights into the assay which would lead to a high success rate in hit finding
- Contribute to or drive the understanding of the target or pathway as (a) protein(s) inside a cell by understanding the half life, the faith inside a cell, the interactome, …
- Participate to the creation of scientific excellence within the modulation area to provide support to hit finding projects and understanding protein based mechanistic insights into later projects
- Be responsible to design, validate and implement new biochemical and/ or cell based assays and/or relevant pathway assays
- Work independently and based on in-depth analysis of experimental results and propose, plan and execute follow-up experiments (for yourself and team member(s))
- Strive to highest quality research, you have a critical mind-set towards own and published data
- Provide feedback and updates of your (and other(s)) work and results to your line manager and the project teams
- Contribute to scientific publications, patent authorship and grant or project proposals
Who are you?
- Ph.D. degree with 3-8 years relevant experience, or Master with 8-12 years relevant experience or professional working and thinking level
- Proven track record in cellular assay development using state-of-the-art technologies
- Proven records of having a good understanding in protein biology (biochemical and cellular expertise)
- Knowledge and experience with cell biology, pathways and targets
- A proven track record in scientific excellence (publications, patents, presentation at conferences, …)
- The ability to clearly and concisely present (novel) scientific concepts and realization of proposed concepts
- The ability to influence your and other managers of scientific concepts relevant to achieve a competitive edge in the disease area of interest
- You have the ability to look for external contacts with relevant expertise and set up relevant collaborations to support internal drug discovery programs
- The ability to work on multiple projects through intense collaboration, ability to adapt activities priorities to challenging deliverables
- Technical proficiency in (primary) cell culture techniques, cell- and/or image based assay development, primary cellular systems and complex cell cultures (3D, co-culture, etc.)
- Team first mentality
- Excellent communication in English