Medical Scientific Liaison- North of Spain
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast
growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium
(Mechelen), France (Romainville, Paris), the Netherlands (Leiden), Spain
(Madrid), Italy (Milan) and in US, Boston.
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to
discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone
before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to
challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers,
entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and
perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you:
looking for a Medical
Science Liaison Inflammation (Rheumatoid Arthritis and UC) in
the North of Spain! Are you ready conquer the world and make it happen with us?
Scope of the job
- The role of a Medical Scientific Liaison (MSL) is to be a therapeutic area scientific expert in Inflammation, Rheumatoid arthritis and UC, responsible for discussing our products, patient treatment trends and studies in the therapeutic areas in which we are involved, on a peer-to-peer basis with a defined audience of external clinical and non-clinical stakeholders (Physicians, Pharmacists, Hospital Managers, Board Members of Scientific Societies, and other stakeholders) in line with the overall stakeholder mapping and to be considered a trusted scientific counterpart and partner.
- The MSL role is field based. Serve as a field-based extension of the Medical Affairs team. And HCP related activities expected to comprise 80-95% of MSL responsibilities
- Through scientific interactions, gain valuable insights into treatment patterns, and scientific activities in the therapeutic area and provide strategic input to the company Medical Affairs Plan
- Through scientific interactions with external stakeholders, increase medical value of our products, fairly based on the risk-benefit profile of our drugs and contribute to fostering innovative therapeutic approaches to benefit patients.
- Through activities in line with the Medical Affairs Plan, the MSL is jointly responsible for the realization of short-term and long-term company goals, and accountable for execution of the MSL activities described in the relevant country specific Medical Affairs plan.
Be a medical and scientific expert:
- Systematically identify the scientific exchange needs of Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs), investigators and other stakeholders in patient care, establish strong professional relationships, provide credible scientific expertise and serve as a liaison to Global Medical, Global Clinical and external partners
- Ensures high standard of professionalism to develop and maintain “peer-to-peer” scientific relationships with key thought leaders in healthcare, academia, payer, and government organizations per strategic territory plans and as requested by KOLs, including the management of strategic scientific partnerships and scientific exchange
- Ensure compliant communication and education of the emerging product portfolio to meet the educational and professional needs of Galapagos’ key customers
- Presents clinical and disease state information to a variety of audiences, both internally and externally (including KOLs, formulary/decision makers and other HCPs).
- Respond within defined timeline and quality standards to unsolicited inquiries from HCPs and other stakeholders; forwards reports of adverse events according to Galapagos’ policy
- Conducts therapeutic area training for Sales and Medical or other colleagues upon request
Support Medical Affairs evidence-generating activities
- Support design and implementation of scientific programs with external experts and Global Medical Affairs (RWE, IIR etc)
- Provide scientific liaison support to Investigators currently involved in the Company sponsored interventional or observational studies and investigator initiated research ( IIR)
- Data gap identification: signal the need for investigator-initiated research and ensure they are discussed within the Medical Affairs department.
- Registries: gain insights on ongoing country registries and ensure potential value is discussed with the Medical Affairs department.
- Serve as scientific resource at key medical, scientific, and patient advocacy conferences as assigned
- Planning, organization and participation in Medical Education activities:
- o Build medical education programs with scientific third parties, in line with Medical Affairs plan
- o Identify/support/educate speakers
- Organization and participation in country/regional Advisory Boards, in line with Medical Affairs plan
- Participate on internal project teams as directed by Management (e.g. publications)
- Support expanded access programs, eg Compassionate Use programs
- Maintain personal expertise in relevant disease areas, Galapagos’ products and
Education and qualifications
- An advanced degree in life sciences (MD, PharmD or PhD or equivalent) is required
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a field MSL or equivalent is required
- Has an established track record of effective and influential oral presentations within the healthcare profession
- Demonstrative therapeutic experience/research or substantive patient care experience is required (2 years minimum)
- Medical, clinical or research experience in Inflammation, Rheumatoid arthritis and UC area is mandatory
Demonstration of expertise in key skills, capabilities and competencies
- Establishes credible and long-lasting professional relationships and has personal impact through engaging respectfully and professionally
- Able to exchange scientific ideas and information openly and effectively with key opinion leaders and with colleagues; excellent presentation skills of scientific and medical data to small and large audiences
- Demonstrates in-depth therapeutic competency and expertise of the leading science in designated disease state; maintain knowledge base and scientific expertise on Inflammation, areas and products
- Able to manage challenging conversations and handle objections
- Focused on customer and patient needs
- Able to work effectively in virtual teams and matrix teams: coordinate and drive a complex and changing environment
- Effective listening skills
- Capable of building relationships and focused on identifying and responsibly advancing opportunities for scientific exchange within focus disease areas
- Ability to work effectively on multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to partner and collaborate appropriately with R&D, Commercial, and other internal functions
- Superior written and verbal communication skills in Spanish and English
- Strong leadership, influencing and negotiation skills
- Business acumen
- Highly motivated and self-directed with ability to think innovatively & strategically, skillfully plan, manage and prioritize multiple projects independently; demonstrates resilience and flexibility
- Above average computer skills (MS Office, databases, etc)
- Appropriate assessment and allocation of available resources
- Individual activity plan development overseen by MSL manager or other line manager
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos, we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos: together we can make it happen…!