Medical Director Inflammation Science Lead
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast-growing biotech company with offices in various locations all over Europe and in the US.
We are in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
Currently, we are looking for a Medical Director Inflammation Science Lead!
Scope of the job
- Work with the Global Medical Lead (GML) for inflammation to define the global medical inflammation portfolio strategy with a focus on the development side of the organization and new product planning
- Implement the medical inflammation portfolio plan with a focus on representing the medical perspective at key drug-development decision-making points in the early development portfolio
- Facilitate understanding and alignment between the development part of the organization and medical affairs on inflammation and brand strategies
- Ensure optimal scientific communication on our pipeline for key stakeholders
- Optimize our innovative scientific core by identifying opportunities externally for the development part of our organization while facilitating scientific partnerships by bridging our knowledge and capabilities to the external community.
- Serve as Global Medical representative on standing and project-based cross-functional teams internally and with partner(s)
- Act as a company representative interacting with external stakeholders
- Establish strong partnerships with external experts to obtain insights such as through advisory boards
As our Medical Director Inflammation Science Lead, you will be responsible for driving the medical inflammation portfolio Strategy. To be successful you will facilitate strong alignment across the inflammation portfolio between development and the commercial space and bridge back external opportunities to optimize our development portfolio. As a key liaison from the global medical team with the development organization you will be able to have significant contribution to the long-term success of the portfolio and build strong partnership with key external stakeholders.
Work with the GML for inflammation to define the global medical inflammation portfolio strategy. As delegated by the GML, directly implement plans at a global and European level potentially including:
- Serve as a disease area and product area expert including the competitive landscape to build and execute on the global medical plan
- Define opportunities with target discovery and development for new indications based on solid understanding of our assets, science as well as medical practice
- Work in a cross-functional team to develop target product profiles
- Be actively involved in design of P2 and P3 programs as well as generating evidence from e.g. real-world or mechanical studies to support proof of concept decisions as well as phase III benefit risk assessments
- Generate a clear overview of capabilities of key centres of excellence to facilitate rapid partnerships to meet business needs
- Develop and facilitate internal and external training on our pipeline as medical expert
- Conducting and lead on medical review and approval of materials
- Facilitate and lead on external engagements as relevant to the global medical inflammation portfolio strategy and operational plan in close alignment with the full global medical team and cross-functional counterparts
- Providing medical review of Investigator-Initiated Research (IIR) proposals and other grants through the grant approval process as well as support grant programs
- Providing physician leadership for scientific communications, including standard responses and educational materials
- Serve as Global Medical representative on standing and project-based cross-functional teams
- Build best in class medical capabilities to support the rich inflammation portfolio
Interaction with external stakeholders in alignment with customer needs and medical strategy
- Act as a company representative with external stakeholders
- Per medical strategy, establish and/or enhance partnerships with key academic institutions and develop relationships with key thought leaders
- Per medical strategy, establish appropriate partnerships with external experts in areas of scientific interest
- Represent Medical Affairs at internal and external meetings
- Present data on pipeline / therapeutic area
- Act as ambassadors of patient outcomes and the clinical point of view, by driving a patient-centric approach across all functions
- Bridge the gap between R&D and Commercial by bringing patient-centric insights from a broader range of external medical decision-makers and influencers into clinical development
Maintenance of knowledge base
- Serve as a key medical resource on the disease area and our pipeline
- Maintain a high level of expertise on the disease area
- Develop and maintain knowledge of global pharmaceutical regulations, guidelines, codes of practices and internal policies related to all medical activities
- As directed by the GML, develop, conduct, or participate in therapeutic training programs for internal departments
Education and Experience Requirements
- A medical degree or scientific degree (Ph.D. or Pharm D) is strongly preferred
- >10 years of experience in biopharmaceutical medicine, preferably within a matrix or franchise structure.
- >3 years of experience in medical affairs above country is required
- Experience in leading cross-functional projects is preferred
- Experience in field-based roles (e.g. Field Medical Director, Medical Science Liaison) is preferred
- Experience in the disease area of gastroenterology through clinical experience, biopharmaceutical experience or education is strongly preferred
- Experience in leading projects related to new product planning is strongly preferred
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Demonstrated business acumen and operational skills
- Demonstrated capability to take on projects and execute flawlessly
- Ability to work in a Global/regional environment, across diverse cultures
- Ability to collaborate appropriately with Commercial and development functions
- Ability to represent company’s interest in scientific forums as needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage teams and drive initiatives without direct line management authority
- Proven ability to influence and negotiate, preferably within partnerships with other organizations
- Results orientation and accountability
- Good analytical skills as applied to medical, scientific and technical information
- Unquestioned ethics are a must
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Management of discrete medical scientific projects
- Representation of global/international medical affairs and contribution to a range of internal functional groups
- External stakeholder management and engagement
Who are you?
We are looking for a new colleague in our global medical affairs department with a solid medical/scientific background and experience within the therapeutic area of inflammation. A genuine interest to advance science and healthcare in these areas to ultimately meet patient’s needs is mandatory. You are analytical to optimize data interpretation but also well capable to present data in a clear way both in writing as well as verbally and tailored to your audience. You are a team player with an open mind set who “dares to try” and can easily shift gears as needed. Creating a medical strategy as well as initiatives and implementing those is something you enjoy and can be accountable for. When working with partners you are able to clearly represent the medical department of our company. You are honest and firm when it comes down to scientific and clinical data and will always keep in mind what it means for a patient with everything you do.
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support, you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos, we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos: together we can make it happen…!