Medical Director Inflammation Rheumatology
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Paris), the Netherlands (Leiden), Basel (Switzerland), Italy (Milan), Spain (Madrid), the UK (London), Germany (Munich) and in the US,(Boston.)
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
We are looking for a Medical Director Inflammation Rheumatology!
Scope of the job
Within the Global Medical Affairs Team (GMAT), the Inflammation Strategy and Expertise team has a business critical role. As a medical director within this team, you work closely with the Therapeutic Area Leads (TAL) and the Global Medical Lead (GML) to drive strategies and execute the global medical operational plan including complex projects. This person should have relevant work experience, skills, and competencies in order to:
- Assist in developing medical and cross-functional strategies
- Be the product and disease area expert able to develop and implement various materials and activities for internal and external purposes
- Interact with key external stakeholders in alignment with customer needs and medical strategy to obtain insights and lead projects
- Work cross-functionally within Galapagos
- Work with the Therapeutic Area Lead TAL) for Rheumatology to ensure appropriate alignment of Global activities with Global Strategies and implement therapeutic area and disease area/product strategies
- Participate in globally-focused meetings as needed to support the launch and in-market success of filgotinib
- Be the internal expert on filgotinib and the therapeutic area and provide scientific advice to other colleagues accordingly (e.g. medical training)
- Demonstrate leadership in the process of data interpretation
- Facilitate appropriate interpretation of insights and drive appropriate follow up of actions
- Develop and advise on scientific content and strategy around launch and in market-related activities and materials such as executing advisory boards and presentations for scientific exchange
- medical review of Investigator-Initiated Research (IIR) proposals and other grants through the grant approval process as well as support grant programs.
- Conducting and lead on medical review and approval of materials
- Support with data generation needs, such as Real World Data, Registries, clinical studies, post-hoc analyses, etc
- Lead specific scientific projects to further advance understanding of the benefit: risk of filgotinib
- Advance understanding of the therapeutic landscape to identify opportunities for scientific leadership to meet patient needs
- Collaborate with Legal, Compliance and Regulatory to ensure proper and ethical interactions both with internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure that developed materials and events are in compliance with Galapagos SOP’s and policies
Interaction with external stakeholders in alignment with customer needs and medical strategy
- Act as a company representative with external stakeholders
- Per medical strategy, establish and/or enhance partnerships with external experts in areas of scientific interest that add value to our business and our customers
- Represent Medical Affairs at internal and external meetings
- Present data on product / therapeutic area
Who are you?
- A medical degree or scientific degree (Ph.D. or Pharm D) is strongly preferred
- 5-7 years of experience in biopharmaceutical medicine, preferably within a matrix or franchise structure.
- >3-5 years of experience in medical affairs, above country experience, is preferred
- Experience in leading cross-functional projects is strongly preferred
- Experience in field-based roles (e.g. Field Medical Director, Medical Science Liaison) is preferred
- Experience in related disease area through clinical experience, biopharmaceutical experience, or education is strongly preferred
- Experience in leading projects pre-launch of an innovative drug as well as launching a drug in country/ at an international level is strongly preferred
- A genuine interest to advance science and healthcare in these areas to ultimately meet patient’s needs
- Good business acumen and operational skills
- Ability to develop highly credible relationships, influencing relevant internal/external stakeholders.
- Being honest and firm when it comes down to scientific and clinical data.
- Good analytical skills as applied to medical, scientific and technical information
- Unquestioned ethics and high standards are a must.
- Working experience in an international environment
- Team player with an open mindset who “dares to try” and can easily shift gears as needed.
- Demonstrated capability to take on projects and execute flawlessly
- Ability to work in a Global/regional environment, across diverse cultures
- Ability to manage teams and drive initiatives without direct line management authority
- Ability to represent company’s interest in scientific forums as needed
- Results orientation and accountability
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast-growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos, we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos: together we can make it happen…!