Medical Director Inflammation Rheumatology
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech
company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Romainville + Paris), the Netherlands (Leiden), Switzerland (Basel), Italy (Milano), Spain (Madrid), UK (London), Germany (München), and in US, Boston.
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
Due to our exciting partnership with Gilead Sciences Inc. we are looking for a Medical Director Inflammation (Rheumatology).
The position can be based in any of our European locations.
Scope of the job
Within the Global Medical Affairs Team (GMAT), the Therapeutic Area (TA) team for inflammation has a business critical role. A medical director within this team, works closely with the TALs and the GML to execute the global medical operational plan. This person should have relevant work experience, skills and competencies in order to:
- Be the product and disease area expert able to develop and implement various materials and activities for internal and external purposes
- Interact with key external stakeholders in alignment with customer needs and medical strategy
- Work cross-functionally within Galapagos as well as with Gilead counterparts
- Work with Sr Med Dir Rheumatology to ensure appropriate alignment of Global activities with Global Strategies and implement therapeutic area and disease area / product strategies
- Participate in global focused meetings as needed to support the launch of our product
- Be an internal expert of our first product and related therapeutic areas.
- Develop and advise on scientific content and strategy around launch related activities and materials such as executing advisory boards, presentations for scientific exchange and publications
- Provide scientific expertise to colleagues, including: internal and external training on first product's medical review of Investigator Initiated Research (IIR) proposals and other grants through the grant approval process as well as support grant programs
- Conducting and lead on medical review and approval of promotional and meeting materials
- Support with data generation needs, such as Real World Data, Registries, clinical studies, post-hoc analyses, etc
- Lead specific scientific projects to further advance understanding of the benefit / risk of our first product
- Advance understanding of the therapeutic landscape to identify opportunities for scientific leadership to meet patient needs
- Collaborate with Legal, Compliance and Regulatory to ensure proper and ethical interactions both with internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure that developed materials and events are in compliance with Galapagos SOP’s and policies
- Interaction with external stakeholders in alignment with customer needs and medical strategy
- Act as a company representative with external stakeholders
- Per medical strategy, establish and/or enhance partnerships with external experts in areas of scientific interest that add value to our business and our customers
- Represent Medical Affairs at internal and external meetings
- Present data on product / therapeutic area
Who are you?
- We are looking for a new colleague (a medical degree or scientific degree - PhD or Pharm D - is strongly preferred) in our global Medical Affairs division with a solid medical/scientific background and 5-7yrs experience in field-based roles (e.g. Field Medical Director, Medical Science Liaison) within the therapeutic area of rheumatology (through clinical or biopharmaceutical experience or education) / >3 years of experience in medical affairs above country is required, preferably on regional level.
- A genuine interest to advance science and healthcare in these areas to ultimately meet patient’s needs is mandatory. Any experience working together with patient organizations is an added value.
- You are analytical to optimize data interpretation but also well capable to present data in a clear way both in writing as well as verbally and tailored to your audience. You are a team player with an open mindset, business acumen, who “dares to try” and can easily shift gears as needed. Experience leading cross-functional projects at the brand or disease area levels in-country, regional or global organizations is preferred. Experience in leading projects pre-launch of an innovative drug as well as launching a drug at an international level is strongly preferred.
- At ease working within a matrix environment with very different stakeholders.
- Affinity in using multichannel as new ways of working is definitely an advantage.
- Ability to manage teams and drive initiatives without direct line management authority.
- When working with partners you are able to clearly represent the medical department of our company. Establishing and maintaining excellent professional relationships genuinely understanding the needs and requests of each stakeholder. You are honest, credible and firm when it comes down to scientific and clinical data and will always keep in mind what it means for a patient with everything you do. Unquestioned ethics and high standards are a must.
- Working experience in an international environment, excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are required. You communicate in an assertive but diplomatic way with different stakeholders on different levels of seniority.
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos : together we can make it happen…!