Medical Director Inflammation Gastroenterology
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Paris), the Netherlands (Leiden), Italy (Milan), Spain (Madrid), Switzerland (Basel), Germany (Munich), the UK (London) and in the US, Boston.
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
We are looking for a Medical Director Inflammation Gastroenterology!
Scope of the job
- Work with the Global Medical Lead (GML) for inflammation and the Therapeutic Area lead (TAL) for gastroenterology to execute specific components of the operational plan, appropriately aligned with the overall strategy and incorporating R&D functional strategies (clinical, regulatory, HEOR, PV, compliance)
- The implementation of the medical plan will focus on Global and European pre-launch and launch preparation of filgotinib in Ulcerative Colitis (UC) and Crohn’s Disease (CD)
- Drive execution of specific medical projects per global medical strategy as created by the GML and TALs.
- Serve as Global Medical representative on standing and project-based cross-functional teams internally and with partner(s)
- Provide integrated scientific, clinical and product expertise within the therapeutic area of gastroenterology
- Provide Medical review to Global promotional and non-promotional materials
- Act as a company representative interacting with external stakeholders
- Establish strong partnerships with external experts to obtain insights such as through advisory boards
Work with GML and TALs on the execution of the global medical operational plan;
As delegated by the GML, directly implement plans at a global and European level potentially including:
- Serve as a disease area and product area expert to facilitate the execution of projects according to the global medical plan
- Develop and facilitate internal and external training especially as a product expert
- Conducting and lead on medical review and approval of promotional and meeting materials
- Planning, designing and managing global and overseeing global/regional/local medical Advisory Boards
- Providing medical review of Investigator-Initiated Research (IIR) proposals and other grants through the grant approval process as well as support grant programs
- Providing physician leadership for scientific communications, including standard responses and educational materials
- Provide oversights of a plan to globally work with external stakeholders
- Serve as Global Medical representative on standing and project-based cross-functional teams
Interaction with external stakeholders in alignment with customer needs and medical strategy
- Act as a company representative with external stakeholders
- Per medical strategy, establish and/or enhance partnerships with key academic institutions and develop relationships with key thought leaders
- Per medical strategy, establish appropriate partnerships with external experts in areas of scientific interest
- Represent Medical Affairs at internal and external meetings
- Present data on product / therapeutic area
Maintenance of knowledge base
- Serve as a key medical resource on the disease area and specific products
- Maintain a high level of expertise in the disease area
- Develop and maintain knowledge of global pharmaceutical regulations, guidelines, codes of practices and internal policies related to all medical activities
- As directed by the GML, develop, conduct, or participate in therapeutic training programs for internal departments
Education and Experience Requirements
- A medical degree or scientific degree (Ph.D. or Pharm D) is strongly preferred
- 5-7 years of experience in biopharmaceutical medicine, preferably within a matrix or franchise structure.
- >3 years of experience in medical affairs above country is required
- Experience in leading cross-functional projects is preferred
- Experience in field-based roles (e.g. Field Medical Director, Medical Science Liaison) is preferred
- Experience in the disease area of gastroenterology through clinical experience, biopharmaceutical experience or education is strongly preferred
- Experience in leading projects pre-launch of an innovative drug as well as launching a drug at an international level is strongly preferred
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Demonstrated business acumen and operational skills
- Demonstrated capability to take on projects and execute flawlessly
- Ability to work in a global/regional environment, across diverse cultures
- Ability to collaborate appropriately with Commercial functions
- Ability to represent the company’s interest in scientific forums as needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage teams and drive initiatives without direct line management authority
- Proven ability to influence and negotiate, preferably within partnerships with other organizations
- Results orientation and accountability
- Good analytical skills as applied to medical, scientific and technical information
- Unquestioned ethics are a must
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Management of discrete medical projects
- Representation of global/international medical affairs and contribution to a range of internal functional groups
- External stakeholder management and engagement
Who are you?
We are looking for a new colleague in our global medical affairs department with a solid medical/scientific background and experience within the therapeutic area of gastroenterology. A genuine interest to advance science and healthcare in these areas to ultimately meet patient’s needs is mandatory. You are analytical to optimize data interpretation but also well capable to present data in a clear way both in writing as well as verbally and tailored to your audience. You are a team player with an open mindset who “dares to try” and can easily shift gears as needed. Creating a medical strategy as well as initiatives and implementing those is something you enjoy and can be accountable for. When working with partners you are able to clearly represent the medical department of our company. You are honest and firm when it comes down to scientific and clinical data and will always keep in mind what it means for a patient with everything you do.
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast-growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos, we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos: together we can make it happen…!