Legal Counsel - Research Department - Mechelen, BE (or Leiden, NL or Romainville, FR)
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing biotech
company with offices in Europe, in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Romainville), the Netherlands (Leiden), Switzerland (Basel) and in the US (Boston).
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists, we need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
For our site in Mechelen, Belgium (or Leiden, NL or Romainville, FR) we are looking for a Legal Counsel - Research
Scope of the job
As a Legal Counsel, you will take ownership of complex legal issues in
our team that supports Galapagos’ Research and Pre-Clinical Development
We are looking for someone who can provide high quality legal advice and propose creative approaches to business issues.
Specific responsibilities include:
- act as a business partner and provide accurate legal support to the company’s Research and Pre-clinical Development organisation;
- negotiates, drafts and reviews research collaboration agreements, consortium agreements, master services agreements, material transfer agreements, etc.;
- interact with external stakeholders (e.g. universities, CROs, biotech companies, third party manufacturers, equipment and service providers);
- drafting and negotiation consortium agreements with knowledge regarding governmental funding (horizon2020/Vlaio/Health Holland);
- partner with the IP team with respect to intellectual property related matters;
- assisting the company in fulfilling its compliance with industry standards and regulatory requirements;
- staying up-to-date with and training others in legislation and/or compliance in this field; and
- contributing to wider organizational goals and/or activities as assigned.
Who are you?
- You are a legal professional with a Master degree in Law. You have at least 3 years of relevant experience. Experience in providing legal support for a research department within the Biotech or Pharmaceutical industry is an advantage as well as having an additional master in intellectual property.
- You have affinity to research and science.
- You are proficient in contract negotiation and drafting, including liability, indemnification and intellectual property/patent provisions related to R&D collaborations.
- You are a deal maker and capable of analysing complex legal issues and you feel comfortable handling and working with tight deadlines.
- You are a well organized, detail-oriented, and rigorous person. You have an entrepreneurial mindset and “can do” attitude. You have the ability to work independently as well as part of a team on complex projects.
- You are capable of handling confidential information in a discreet manner and you maintain the highest ethical standards.
- Last but not least, you have excellent verbal and written communications skills in English.
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. You will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos: together we can make it happen…!