Head Shared Medical Services
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Romainville + Paris), the Netherlands (Leiden), Switzerland (Basel), Italy (Milano), Spain (Madrid), UK (London), Germany (München), and in US, Boston.
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
We are looking for a Head Shared Medical Services - this role can be based in any of our country locations.
Scope of the job
As a Head Shared Medical Services you provide leadership and effectively manage Shared Medical Services- SMS (Publications, Medical Communications, Medical Information, Training etc) across GMA and wider R&D functions and throughout Galapagos.
- Define SMS strategy aligned to requirements of TAs and countries to ensure TAs and countries get the appropriate service and support from global as the central source;
- Define and request required budget and resources from Head of GMA;
- Ensure operational excellence in terms of budget management, vendor management, timeline management, systems management, etc.;
- Establish and track appropriate performance metrics;
- Ensure organizational excellence in terms of team development and definition of fit-for-purpose shared service groups;
- Collaborate with Legal, Compliance, PV and Regulatory and strategic planning to establish and ensure proper processes and systems within SMS;
- Identify and address hiring, training and development needs for SMS team, including functional expertise and TA expertise;
- Participate in GMA Leadership Team and contribute to the GMA strategy;
- Oversee in-year implementation of TA GMA strategies/plans and requirements across all SMS functions.
Who are you?
- You have obtained a degree in finance or equivalent : medical degree, PhD or PharmD is required
- >10 years of experience in the biopharmaceutical industry, preferably within a matrix structure or other complex organizations
- Experience in medical affairs is required
- You have managed vendors and complex projects
- Proven experience leading teams within a matrix – preferably in Scientific Publications, Medical Communications, Medical Science Liaisons or Medical Systems and Operations
Your skills and competencies:
- Focus on accountability and ownership
- Ability to drive alignment cross-functionally and partner with key internal (including cross-GMA, wider R&D, disease area teams, market access, commercial) and external stakeholders (opinion leaders, payors, patient advocacy organizations, vendors) with a strong customer-focused approach.
- Strong communication, presentation, persuasion and negotiation skills to reinforce a culture of partnering and shared responsibility between GLPG functions and global/local organisations.
- Ability to think strategically and demonstrated ability to take a big-picture approach to decision making while taking account of the interests of the entire organization
- Strong business acumen
- Strong management skills with demonstrated ability to plan for staffing needs, make hiring decisions, set goals and objectives, establish and recalibrate priorities, provide feedback and appraise work.
- Ability to regularly assess individuals’ skills, talents and career interests which ensure development of a talent pool for the future
- Unquestioned ethics
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in biopharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos: together we can make it happen…!