External Communications Director - based in Europe
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Romainville + Paris), the Netherlands (Leiden), Switzerland (Basel), Italy (Milano), Spain (Madrid), UK (London), Germany (München), and in US, Boston.
We are in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you !
We are looking for an External Communications Director - a full-time role based in one of the Galapagos offices in Europe.
Scope of the job
The External Communications Director, reporting to the Global Head of Communications and Public Affairs, will support the rapid growth of the Galapagos Communications team and will have the opportunity to shape and to grow this role.
- Create a holistic external corporate communication plan and calendar to drive strategic communications that leverage important company news.
- Plan and direct external communications activities in support of Galapagos’ mission, vision and goals. Explore opportunities to create ongoing storytelling to raise the profile of Galapagos around the world.
- Evolve the existing narrative to reflect Galapagos’ transition from research company to an integrated biopharmaceutical company.
- Partner with Investor Relations to ensure consistent messaging across financial stakeholders and media
- Coach executive spokespeople, assisting in developing their messaging, providing guidance and direction to ensure communications are strategic, accurate and relevant, whilst reflecting a tone and style consistent with Galapagos’ culture.
- Develop and maintain relationships with mainstream, business and pharma media.
- Ensure European markets receive the support they need to promote Galapagos, its mission and its commitment to patients and to help prepare for future product launches.
- Measure how we are moving corporate reputation through our external communications.
- Lead agency resources for external communication efforts.
- Work closely together with digital, creative, internal communications and therapeutic areas leads.
- Manage and develop direct report(s)
Who are you?
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field required;
- 10+ years’ experience in an international corporate environment. This might include roles in PR agencies, corporate PR departments, or public institutions
- Proven experience developing and delivering effective communications strategies incorporating use of the latest digital tools
- Track record of producing international, national and regional media coverage
- Ability to continually prioritize and multi-task in a dynamic, creative, fast paced environmen
- Enjoy working with a good team spirit and positive mindset
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, presentation and interpersonal skills
- English, native speaker is a requirement!
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail
- Willing to travel up to 30%
What’s in it for you ?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos : together we can make it happen…!