Director in vitro Biology - Leiden, NL/Mechelen, BE
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Romainville & Paris), the Netherlands (Leiden), Switzerland (Basel), Italy (Milano), Spain (Madrid), the UK (London), Germany (München), and in the US (Boston).
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
We are looking for a Director in vitro Biology.
Scope of the job:
The Director of in vitro biology will be leading target discovery and cellular pharmacology efforts towards the discovery and development of novel therapeutics for kidney and metabolic diseases. He/she will be proposing ideas and define strategies for in vitro cellular approaches in the area and drive/coordinate the work of cell biology teams in Leiden and Mechelen to execute on the strategies. You will effectively summarise and communicate strategy, work, results and conclusion and report to the head of the area.
- Provide ideas and define the strategy to identify novel drug targets for kidney diseases
- Provide scientific and technical input to drug discovery project teams on assays to be implemented to evaluate therapeutic agents and pro-actively investigate and improve methods and techniques as required
- Supervise and develop the in vitro cellular biology teams conducting the in vitro research for the area
- Aware of scientific and technological progress in terms of cell models in the area and guides its teams towards scientific and technical excellence in this field
- Reviews literature in related fields and identifies new opportunities and areas of research consistent with strategic direction
- Works collaboratively within team and with other areas of expertise (screening teams, project teams, medchem,...) and frequently interacts with senior internal colleagues requiring coordination across other functions and groups
- Leads, manages and coordinates scientific teams, by motivating and empowering the team member
- Plan and organise and leverage work of the in vitro biology team to meet project checkpoints and accomplish teams objectives on time
- Presents data, results and ideas in a clear and comprehensive way to diverse audiences including scientific colleagues and senior leadership
- Reports to the Head of kidney/metabolic disease area
Who are you?
- a PhD in molecular or cell biology, biological sciences with at least 8-10 years of experience in industry with small molecule and or biologics drug discovery
- You have experience with primary cell cultures, assay development and molecular cell biology techniques (RNAi/CRISPR gene silencing/editing high content imaging, FACS, transciptomics, …)
- Knowledge/ former experience in kidney biology is strongly preferred
- You have the ability to build an understanding of biology around novel targets and pathways and design experiments to test hypothesis and a good understanding of the overall process of drug discovery is preferred
- You have experience with leading teams and work in a collaborative environment where ideas can be respectfully challenged to drive excellence and innovation
- You have an objective-driven mindset and can deliver results within aggressive but achievable timelines
- With a strategic view, you are able to act as an adviser and influencer of top management and the teams.
- Fluent English, both in writing and verbal
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos : together we can make it happen…!