Translational Research Lead - Mechelen, BE
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Romainville), the Netherlands (Leiden) and in US, Boston.
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
Scope of the job
In the area of auto-immune or fibrotic diseases, the Translational Research Lead plays a central role at the interface between the discovery and development departments.
- At one hand, the Translational Research Leader is responsible for integrating internal and external information (e.g. competitor clinical data, in house “omics” data) towards the generation of a “disease roadmap” that will guide the design competitive strategies to address selected diseases as well as the selection of alternative indications for Galapagos’ advanced molecules.
- At the other hand, the Translational Research Lead drives late stage projects in discovery (LO phase) as project leader and/or acts as Pharmacology Leader in the project team for projects in Development. Typically, the Pharmacology Leader is responsible for designing the pharmacology plans and interpreting (pre-)clinical data (e.g. biomarker data) for a development project, aiming at understanding the efficacy level and mechanism of action of the compound in a given disease compared to competitor molecules as well as selecting alternative indications.
To achieve his / her goals, the Translational Research Lead will have a central position amongst various stakeholders. At one hand, he / she is interacting with other members of the therapeutic area group, including the Therapeutic Area Head as well as the other Pharmacology Leaders. In addition, the Translational Research Lead is operating in a matrix environment and orchestrates the activities of several departments in the discovery organisation, ranging from in vitro through in vivo pharmacology as well as translational science and bioinformatics. Also, the Pharmacology Leader’s activities are performed in close collaboration with the Translational Medicine department. He / she is also operating outside Galapagos, designing and driving external academic collaborations with experts in the field.
- Integrating knowledge on pathogenic pathways and competitor molecules gathered from internal / external datasets, key literature, feedback of KOL’s, congresses.
- Functionally mapping the competitive environment for Galapagos’ advanced molecules.
- Bring key elements guiding the design of competitive strategies for selected diseases.
- Leading Pharmacology activities for the characterization of molecules in Development phases, with emphasis on Translational activities.
- Leading advanced drug discovery projects in the area of immune-inflammatory or fibrotic diseases, delivering against pre-set objectives.
- Efficient reporting on progress to the scientific management team of the company.
- Building a productive and trust-based collaboration with the Galapagos expert teams.
- Managing external scientific collaborations.
- Assist the Business Development team by providing critical reviews of potential external assets
Who are you ?
- Ph.D. with at least 12 years drug discovery experience in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry.
- Knowledge of the drug discovery process supported by a demonstrated track record of delivery and leadership in drug discovery projects.
- Solid knowledge of in vitro and in vivo pharmacology as well as of concepts in pharmacokinetics.
- Demonstrated capability to interpret complex (e.g. ‘omics-type’) datasets.
- Knowledge of translational concepts (use of target and disease biomarkers).
- In depth understanding of processes driving disease in inflammation, autoimmunity or fibrosis is key, as well as an understanding of the competitive landscape in the area.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Talented in organizing and planning.
- Creative and critical thinker. Able to build a synthetic view in the field.
Experience in working in a matrix environment represents an advantage
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos : together we can make it happen…!