Senior Scientist in vitro Immune Inflammation disease group - Mechelen,BE
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Romainville), the Netherlands (Leiden), Basel (Switzerland) and in Boston (US).
We are in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you.
We are looking for a Senior Scientist in vitro Immune Inflammation disease group
Scope of the job
As a senior scientist you will be part of a disease team that develops and runs in vitro cellular assays for target-based pharmacological and phenotypic assays, to better understand the role of target(s) and pathway(s) in the disease of interest. All of this to functionally characterize small synthetic molecules coming out of our drug discovery programs.
As a senior scientist you will:
- Contribute with technical and scientific expertise in our drug discovery projects, supporting the disease areas Immune Inflammation
- Actively contribute to the in depth understanding of identified targets and/ or pathways in the diseases of interest
- Work together with peers to build competitive in vitro assays representative for the disease and propose concepts to differentiate from competition
- Participate to the creation of scientific excellence within the disease area Immune Inflammation to provide support to current projects as well as long term development of the disease area
- Be responsible to design, validate and implement new target-based and/or functional cell-based assays and/or assays in complex cellular systems
- Work independently and based on in-depth analysis of experimental results and propose, plan and execute follow-up experiments (for yourself and team member(s))
- Are able to independently solve scientific problems and to help peers solving theirs, both technically as well as scientifically
- Strive to highest quality research, you have a critical mind-set towards own and published data
- Provide feedback and updates of your (and other(s)) work and results to your line manager and the project teams
- Contribute to scientific publications, patent authorship and grant or project proposals
Who are you?
- Ph.D. degree with 3-8 years relevant experience in Immune, or Master with 5-11 years relevant experience or professional working and thinking level or equal with 8-12 years experience
- In-depth knowledge and experience with cell biology, pathways and targets, in the disease areas of Immune Inflammation
- You can clearly and concisely present (novel) scientific concepts and realization of proposed concepts
- You can influence your and other managers of scientific concepts relevant to achieve a competitive edge in the disease area of interest
- You can look for external contacts with relevant expertise and set up relevant collaborations to support internal drug discovery programs
- A proven track record in cellular assay development using state-of-the-art technologies
- You can work on multiple projects through intense collaboration, ability to adapt activities priorities to challenging deliverables
- Technical proficiency in (primary) cell culture techniques, cell- and/or image based assay development, primary cellular systems and complex cell cultures (3D, co-culture, etc.)
- Excellent communication in English is a must
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos : together we can make it happen…!