Senior Scientist Bioinformatics – Mechelen, BE / Leiden, NL
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a
dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium
(Mechelen), France (Romainville), the Netherlands (Leiden), Basel (Switzerland)
and in US, (Boston).
We’re in the business of changing lives.
In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no
one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new
opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought
leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters.
Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the
best-in-class. In other words, we need you.
We look for a passionate and driven researcher to work with colleagues in R&D and design, build and implement state-of-the art bioinformatics algorithms. A colleague that can develop and apply creative solutions that go beyond current tools to deliver data-driven insights to high priority scientific problems. An active participant in project teams and a great collaborator, regardless of the title or expertise.
In particular this role will focus on:
- Text mining to link identified targets to disease biology and/or pathways
- Transcriptomic experimental design and analysis to support Target Discovery and Validation
- Network and pathway analysis to link novel targets to disease biology in disease relevant network
- Predictive modeling, machine learning and building analytics pipelines
- Exploring new data-sets to understand feasibility of new use cases
- Developing proofs of concept and prototypes
- Collaborating and project management with external vendors.
- You have a Master’s degree or PhD in bioinformatics or Life Sciences with clear experience in bioinformatics. At least 2 years of working experience, preferably in a biotech or pharma company
- You have broadly applicable general bioinformatics skills (expression-data analysis, pathway analysis, databases and repositories in the public domain)
- Preferably you also have broadly applicable data sciences capabilities: data visualization, machine learning (svm, random forests, deep learning, ...), regression (ridge, lasso, ...), natural language processing, big data analytics (Spark, Storm, Kafka, ...), data formats (eg. json, adam, parquet, ...)
- You have a clear understanding of data structures and experience with document databases (such as MongoDB or Cassandra) and/or relational databases (Mysql/Oracle) and/or graph databases (e.g. NEO4J)
- You have a broad understanding of various public and private datasets (eg. pubmed, ct.gov, swissprot, ...) and available analytics tools (Cytoscape, EBI, ...)
- You have good working knowledge of Linux. Understanding cloud technologies (AWS, Azure, Docker, Kubernetes, ...) is a plus.
- Programming skills: Python (including Django, pandas, sci-kit learn, NumPy, SciPy, Jupyter, ... ), and preferably also additional language(s) such as Perl, Java, C++, C#
- Good knowledge of R (preferably with the BioConductor libraries), experience with reporting in R (sweave/knitr) and interactive web-interfaces (shiny)
- Knowledge of disease related pathways and systems biology approaches, expression-data analysis, experience with developing analysis strategies in transcriptomics and/or genetics is a plus
- Experience with text mining in a drug/target discovery environment is a plus
- You are a team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, able to present data analysis results and explain bioinformatics methodologies clearly and convincingly to multidisciplinary teams
- You are fluent in English and you are familiar with project-based working
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos : together we can make it happen…!