Scientific Evaluation Lead - Mechelen
Ref: MEC 254
Galapagos has engaged a significant effort aiming at acquiring external assets that fit within the company’s scientific strategy. The “Scientific Evaluation Lead” will be responsible for identifying and assessing external project opportunities, mainly in the fields of auto-immune diseases and fibrosis. The position will be involved in sourcing external assets, organizing and leading various due diligence processes up to the presentation of selected assets to the internal evaluation board of Galapagos. This is a key position for the future success of the organisation. The Lead will report the Therapeutic Area head and operate in close relationship with diverse members of the Therapeutic Area group as well as with the Business Development department.
- Actively identify and evaluate external molecules available for partnering or in licensing.
- Build a view on the unmet need and competitive environment in relevant therapeutic areas through a network of internal and external experts
- Liaise with a network of internal and external experts to correctly interpret the risks associated to potential weaknesses of external assets
- Propose and organize key experiments of external assets under MTA for clarifying the profile of external assets through contacts with the pharmacology departments
- Deliver on preset objectives in the areas described above and bring clear recommendations and presentations towards the internal evaluation board based on the information gathered
- Assist the business development team by providing high quality scientific support
Both small and large molecule asset types will be investigated at diverse stages of drug discovery, ranging from H2L to clinical. Therefore, a strong scientific background, a critical mindset as well as a broad experience in drug discovery (pharmacology, pharmacokinetics) are expected for this position. Besides scientific qualities, the Lead will need strong networking capabilities, establishing key contacts with external parties looking for partnering/outlicensing opportunities. A clear view on competitive environments is part of the knowledge to be gathered to correctly interpret the potential impact of a certain asset. Therefore, the Lead will also track progress and strategies of competitors within key therapeutic areas, through the interaction with internal experts, KOLs, congresses and literature. Having an overall sense on financial projections, exit analyses could be useful.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Ph.D. with at least 8+ years of experience in biotech / pharmaceutical industry.
- In depth knowledge of the drug discovery process, supported by a demonstrated track record in the participation to / management of drug discovery projects beyond lead optimization stage
- The ability to prioritize, coordinate and manage a multitude of projects simultaneously in a high performance environment
- Strong analytical skills should allow the candidate to build a complete view on the strength and weaknesses of a molecule
- A strong capability to interpret the unmet need and competitive landscape in diverse therapeutic areas
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required to support the interactions with the Galapagos functions, external collaborators as well as external parties seeking to partner external assets
- Good networking and entrepreneurial skills