Project Leader (Therapeutic Area group)
Ref: MEC 188C
In the area of auto-immune or fibrosis, the Project Leader drives the projects to success, acting from target discovery up to pre-clinical candidate delivery.
This role operates in a matrix environment and matches (orchestrates) the activities of several departments, ranging from in vitro through in vivo pharmacology, to an optimized project testing cascade. The Project Leader will also be involved in research activities for projects that entered clinical phases and in external academic and industrial collaborations. The Project Leader is also expected to assist in building an up-to-date knowledge environment, allowing to design a competitive strategy to address specific diseases.
- Leading internal or partnered drug discovery projects (small molecules or antibodies) in the area of Immune-inflammation or Fibrosis. Delivering against pre-set objectives.
- Building a productive and trust-based collaboration with the Galapagos functions.
- Providing high-quality scientific support to the Development team, with emphasis on Translational activities.
- Participating in external collaborations.
- Contributing to the establishment of a knowledge environment around assigned diseases by attending congresses and analyzing key literature.
- Providing key elements to map the competitive environment and support optimal target selection.
- PhD in science with several years’ experience in in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry.
- Knowledge of the drug discovery process supported by a demonstrated track record of participation in drug discovery projects.
- Solid knowledge of in vitro and in vivo pharmacology.
- Solid knowledge of target validation processes.
- Knowledge of translational concepts (the use of disease and target biomarkers)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Talented in organizing and planning.
- Creative and critical thinker. Able to correctly evaluate important information in field- related literature.
- Scientific expertise in inflammation, autoimmunity or fibrotic processes is an important advantage.
- Knowledge of Translational concepts (use of target and disease biomarkers) is a plus
The position reports to the Therapeutic Area Head.