Medical Director Inflammation Rheumatoid Arthritis - Mechelen, BE / Leiden, NL
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Romainville), the Netherlands (Leiden) and in US, Boston.
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
We are looking for Medical Director Inflammation Rheumatoid Arthritis
Scope of the job
- Work with the Global Medical Lead (GML) for inflammation to lead the development and execution of the multi-year global medical strategy for the specified Product/Disease Area, appropriately aligned with overall strategy and incorporating R&D functional strategies (clinical, regulatory, HEOR, PV, compliance)
- Work with the GML on the development and in-year implementation of the medical plan with a focus on Europe for pre-launch and launch preparation of filgotinib in Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- Drive global execution of specific medical projects per global medical strategy
- Serve as Global Medical representative on standing and project-based cross-functional teams internally and with partner(s)
- As needed, provide Medical review to Global promotional and non-promotional materials
- Act as a company representative interacting with external stake holders
- Establish strategic partnerships with centers of excellence and external experts in areas of scientific interest both in early as well as late stage of the product cycle
Support definition of global medical strategy and plans
- Work with the GML and the Global Medical Team (GMT) to develop the medical strategy for rheumatology, including e.g. in-line R&D LCM strategy, publications strategy, congress strategy, customer interaction strategy, and the scientific/ medical narrative, the communication platform for the disease area / brand(s), aligned with product strategy
- Lead the development of the in-year medical tactical plan and budget for the global initiatives with a focus on the EU for filgotinib in rheumatoid arthritis
- As delegated by the GML, lead functional (e.g. publications, medical communications, medical training) and in-line R&D teams in developing plans supporting global medical strategy
- As delegated by the GML, collaborate with commercial to ensure aligned and medically appropriate commercial strategy, planning and execution.
- As delegated by the GML, participate in development of product strategy; provide medical affairs and R&D inputs for product(s) to Product Strategy Team including early development and pipeline
- Work with our development partner(s) to align on medical strategy and roles and responsibilities with respect to development of medical strategy and execution on key tactics for Filgotinib in rheumatoid arthirtis
Work with GML on in-year implementation of global medical strategy
As delegated by the GML, directly implement in plans at a global level and with a focus on EU potentially including:
- Providing physician leadership for scientific communications, including standard responses and publications
- Planning, designing and managing global and overseeing global/regional/local medical Advisory Boards
- Providing medical review of Investigator Initiated Research (IIR) proposals and other grants through the grant approval process as well as support grant programs
- Supporting the management, design and execution of clinical studies (phase IIIb/IV, disease registries, epidemiological studies, outcomes surveys, etc.) in close collaboration with Clinical Development
- Monitoring and communicating progress against medical plan; propose and initiate initiatives as need to adjust to disease area requirements
- Conducting medical review and approval of promotional and meeting materials
- Serve as Global Medical representative on standing and project-based cross-functional teams
Interaction with external stakeholders in alignment with customer needs and medical strategy
- Act as a company representative with external stake holders
- Per medical strategy, establish and/or enhance partnerships with key academic institutions and develop relationships with key thought leaders
- Per medical strategy, establish appropriate partnerships with external experts in areas of scientific interest
- Represent Medical Affairs at internal and external meetings
- Present data on product / therapeutic area
Maintenance of knowledge base
- Serve as a key medical resource on the disease area, pipeline and specific products
- Maintain a high level of expertise on the disease area
- Develop and maintain knowledge of global pharmaceutical regulations, guidelines, codes of practices and internal policies related to all medical activities
- As directed by the GML, develop, conduct, or participate in therapeutic training programs for internal departments
Education and Experience Requirements
- A medical degree or scientific degree (PhD or Pharm D) is strongly preferred
- 7-10 years of experience in biopharmaceutical medicine, preferably within a matrix or franchise structure.
- >5 years of experience in medical affairs is required
- Experience leading project teams at the brand or disease area levels in country, regional or global organizations is preferred
- Experience in field-based roles (e.g. Medical Director, Medical Science Liaison) is preferred
- Experience in the disease area of interest through clinical experience, biopharmaceutical experience or education is strongly preferred
- Experience in leading pre-launch of an innovative drug as well as launching a drug at an international level is strongly preferred
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Demonstrated business acumen and operational skills
- Ability to think strategically and tactically from a medical perspective about how to medically appropriately support the growth of a brand
- Ability to work in a Global / regional environment, across diverse cultures
- Ability to collaborate appropriately with Commercial functions
- Ability to represent company’s interest in scientific forums as needed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage teams and drive initiatives without direct line management authority
- Proven ability to influence and negotiate
- Results orientation and accountability
- Good analytical skills as applied to medical, scientific and technical information
- Unquestioned ethics are a must
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Management of discrete medical projects
- Representation of global/international medical affairs and contribution to a range of internal functional groups
- External stakeholder management and engagement
Who are you ?
We are looking for a new colleague in our global medical affairs department with a solid medical/scientific background and experience within the therapeutic area of Rheumatoid Arthritis. A genuine interest to advance science and healthcare in these areas to ultimately meet patient’s needs is mandatory. You are analytical to optimize data interpretation but also well capable to present data in a clear way both in writing as well as verbally and tailored to your audience. You are a team player with an open mind set who “dares to try” and can easily shift gears as needed. Creating a medical strategy as well as initiatives and implementing those is something you enjoy and can be accountable for. When working with partners you are able to clearly represent the medical department of our company. You are honest and firm when it comes down to scientific and clinical data and will always keep in mind what it means for a patient with everything you do.
What’s in it for you ?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos : together we can make it happen…!