European Medical Director - Mechelen, BE / Leiden, NL
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Romainville), the Netherlands (Leiden), Basel (Switzerland) and in US, Boston.
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you : The ‘make-it-happeners’.
We are looking for a European Medical Director
Scope of the job
The European Medical Director manages the Medical Affairs department of several countries in Europe. The position will have direct reports of MSL’s and reports solid line to the Global Head of Medical Affairs.
This position will play an integral part in the expected growth of the organisation. The focus of the job will start with the set-up of medical organizations in the Netherlands and Belgium preparing the launch of Filgotinib for the first period, followed by limited country organizations in other EU countries, starting with France, UK, Germany and Italy. Longer term it is expected to have full medical representation in nearly all large and mid-size EU countries, each with a medical director reporting into this position.
- Act as the country medical director with all its responsibilities, when and where needed.
- Act as a leader for all medical affairs related topics and medical plans both with internal and external stakeholders
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining internal organizational links with Global Medical Affairs, Clinical Development, Regulatory and other stakeholders
- Responsible for representing Galapagos at scientific, clinical and business development meetings
- Serve as medical and technical resource for clinical issues raised by internal and external collaborators, investigators, consultants and contract resources.
- Facilitates core training and professional development for all levels of direct reports and ensures early identification of gaps and opportunities
- Collaborate in the successful management of safety or quality issues i.e. contribute content and strategy in regulatory responses and interactions, risk management planning and implementation
- Oversee the local implementation of non-interventional studies and support IIR’s as appropriate , as well as medical publication according to company policies and SOPs, local regulations
- Be an effective partner in the Promotional Review process and understand fundamentals of promotional regulations
- Manage staff to comply with internal policies and external medical affairs related industry regulations.
- Provide technical /strategic expertise for local data generation proposals ensuring these are scientifically solid and strategically aligned.
- Hire Medical Affairs professionals with deep and scientific therapeutic area expertise, business acumen and strategic mindset.
- Manage performance of direct reports and manage talent across variety of cultures, languages and backgrounds
Who are you ?
You have a Medical degree, preferably with previous experience in a country or regional medical director role.
- Strong Medical Affairs experience, particularly working in a local or regional medical affairs role is highly desirable and including launching products.
Medical talent management and development experience
- Good understanding of healthcare systems in Europe, especially in the Netherlands and Belgium.
- Experience in running Phase IV studies and lifecycle management
- Experience in establishing scientific relationships/interactions with academic societies
- Strong communication and relationship management skills.
- Excellent presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and with credibility with medical opinion leaders and regulatory/reimbursement agencies.
- Sound negotiation, influencing and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated professional behavior and customer focus with excellent work ethic
- Knowledge of regulations and Codes of Practice within the pharmaceutical industry.
- Scientific rigor and curiosity, with demonstrated ability to understand the detailed science and clinical aspects of the disease areas
- Excellent command of spoken English with good practical command of French/Dutch.
What’s in it for you ?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos : together we can make it happen…!