Ref: MEC 233
Build and lead a planning and reporting group for the drug development organisation enabling that project and program plans across the entire development portfolio can contain up-to-date information and that project, program and portfolio information can get analysed and reflected in reports as required for management and for communication by stakeholders within and outside the development organisation.
1. Provide vision and leadership to build and maintain the necessary drug development planning and reporting systems. Collaborate with the Information Systems Department to select and implement the planning and reporting systems. Act as the Business Owner for the development planning and reporting systems (includes oversight of system administration and user training).
2. Ensure approach and processes are in place to manage drug development project plans, containing scheduling, cost and resource information, in line with development project managers and project team needs, development operational needs and with corporate financial processes and capable of coping with inevitable changes in development projects.
3. Develop and maintain strong working relationships with the development project managers and with the development operations manager and coordinator. Represent the planning and reporting group in the Project Management Forum and as such contribute to the project management community within the development organisation.
4. Support the Development Management Committee (DMC) in decision making through pro-active staffing capacity analysis
5. Manage the out-of-pocket and resource budgeting/forecasting exercises for the development organisation and ensure the necessary reviews with senior management are in place. Liaise with the finance controller as per budgeting/forecasting process. Collaborate with project managers on the out-of-pocket part and with development department heads on the resource part of a budget/forecast exercise.
6. Manage the annual internal benchmarking exercise on development scope, cost and timelines and translate the internal benchmark into placeholder project plans. Collaborate with the project managers, finance controllers, and development department heads to capture requirements and align assumptions.
7. Take line management responsibilities of staff in the development project planner role (who support functional planning for different areas of expertise e.g. clinical, CMC, pre-clinical), ensure annual resource forecasts for the project planner role is performed and necessary staff is hired, trained and coached.
-Master of Science (MSc) or PhD in Science or Business related field
-10+ yrs experience in project management for drug development with broad experience in cross-functional aspects thereof
-Advanced knowledge of information systems and business processes for project planning and reporting
-Supervisory experience desired
-Experience in working within a matrix organisation is an asset
-Competent in team leadership, team facilitation and team member participation
-Excellent stakeholder management skills, proven track record of consensus building and conflict management in challenging situations
-Builds strong relationships with senior management and peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
-Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
-Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
-Strong written and verbal communication skills, both towards stakeholders within the company as towards external contacts (e.g. contractors and consultants)
-Fluent in English, both in speaking a in writing