Commercial Manager - Leiden, NL
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company with offices in Europe in Belgium (Mechelen), France (Romainville), the Netherlands (Leiden), Switzerland (Basel) and in the US, Boston.
We’re in the business of changing lives. In our quest to discover and develop life-improving medicines we go where no one has ever gone before. In every challenge we face, we see new opportunities. We want to challenge the impossible. We need thought leaders and rapid thinkers, entrepreneurs in spirit and status quo-fighters. Collaborative innovators and perseverant idealists. We need the best-in-class. In other words, we need you: The ‘make-it-happeners’.
Scope of the job
As Commercial manager you are responsible for a team of regional key account managers. You act as leader by mentoring, coaching and developing people to fulfil their potential, while also delivering business objectives. You work closely together with the medical department to focus on the scientific approach in the benefit of the patients.
- Ensure that yearly objectives (departmental, team, individual) are set within the timelines.
- Manage resourcing needs that are available for annual budget and forecast exercises
- Contribute to a successful interdepartmental collaboration by building strong cross-functional relationships and making the matrix in the organization work.
- Maintain transparent communication continuously and encourage healthy debates.
- Ensure employees understand expectations towards them and give/receive continuous feedback on performance by discussing what went well and where they can further develop. Both on functional expertise (the ‘what’) and on the ‘how’.
- Foster an environment of trust, teamwork, diversity, and effective working to enable each employee, department, and the organization to succeed.
- Monitor overall health and well-being (e.g., motivation/engagement) of the team and, where applicable, take appropriate corrective actions.
- Ensure team adherence to existing Policies and Procedures and timely completion of relevant training.
- Achieving sales forecast within the assigned territory by establishing and executing account level plans.
- Establish awareness and use of the product in target accounts. This includes formulary listing, stocking of the product and prescribing in targeted accounts.
- Apply account management approach, consultative selling skills, and clinical expertise to enhance our business and build support for Filgotinib.
- Demonstrates high impact negotiation skills in all customer environments to deliver business outcomes.
- Fulfill customer requests for information and/or expertise by coordinating with the appropriate resources within the business or team.
- Anticipate macro trends and shifts in the marketplace which trigger customer strategy review and utilise this knowledge to help the shaping or reshaping of strategical and operational frames.
- Proactively seeks to understand competitor activities, strategies, and programmes and ensure that this competitive intelligence is shared broadly within the organisation.
Who are you?
- Preferably scientific/economical profile who is able to think and act on a master/bachelor level
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry in a commercial role
- Minimum of 2 years experience in a leadership role
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical or medical sales processes and procedures.
- Basic understanding of pharmaceutical/medical distribution processes.
- Strong influential leadership skills with the ability to manage stakeholders on different levels
- Strong ability to understand market trends, financial data, customer needs, and assess new opportunities both quantitatively and qualitatively.
- Proficiency in speaking, comprehending, reading and writing Dutch and English is required.
- Drive for self-development, the ability to collaborate and an action-oriented work ethic.
- Ability to think strategically & execute tactically
What’s in it for you?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company where you will be able to help the shaping of the completely new commercial team and approach. As ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos: together we can make it happen…!